Wednesday, November 18, 2009

yet another pointless vandalism....

Last night I was having such a difficult time finding my swagger with doing a simple illustration of F. Scott Fitzgerald. The drawing part is easy enough... but its the swagger... MY swagger that I can't find!


And then the topic of feeling like crap came along. And then I remembered that one time when I was driving from East LA on the Olympic Art Deco style bridge going toward DTLA. I was feeling like crap after a long day of work and just feeling really down when I passed by an overpass with the largest piece of letters I've ever seen. It read: YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.... in big bold block orange letters. It honestly made my day and gave me the biggest smile.

...and just 30 minutes ago... I had the sudden urge to vandalize something and I came up with this:But I couldn't find my brushes... So I used the next best thing: an airplane toothbrush from Asiana (best airline EVER!!!)

Have you ever painted with a toothbrush? It's the weirdest feeling. It feels like you're brushing a surface clean, but you can't because you're vandalizing your neighbor's garage wall. Its almost cathartic. Like you're instilling those words onto your skin until you've scrubbed yourself raw.

And then it dawned onto me... maybe the reason why I find illustrations such a pain is because I'd rather be vandalizing really huge things!

No comments:

Post a Comment